Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 25 of Helminthic Adventure #2

Holy Smokes!  I can't believe it's already been 25 days since 200 little TT ova went down the hatch!  I've been meaning to do an update on my status, but just haven't done so until now.  First, let's review some of the basics:
  • I'm taking a protocol of 2,000 whipworm ova spread out over several doses that I will take each month.  This is different from my last try, where I took 1,250 ova all at once.  The idea is that smaller doses at monthly intervals might not be as likely to trigger a severe immune response, so they'll stand a better chance of surviving this time.
  • A lot of people ask me if I can see the worms swimming around in their liquid, and the answer is no.  These are not worms yet, they are ova, that is, worm eggs, and they are so small as to be invisible in their liquid.  So each dose is just a matter of sipping a teaspoon of tasteless, odorless, clear liquid out of a small vial.  It's quite a non-event, actually.
  • I took one dose upon receiving my little friends, and now the rest are chillin' in my fridge, next to the butter, waiting to be "called up."  Supposedly, they will be fine there for several months, but without a microscope, the know-how, (or really, the interest) I have no way of knowing for sure if they are actually viable.  This is the biggest glitch in the plan for me.  I'm assured these fellas are really hardy, but since we still don't know why they didn't survive the first time, I'm understandably a little leery about every little variable, like maybe I keep my fridge a little too cool for them, or maybe they are lactose intolerant and shouldn't be so close to the butter....
  • The lifecycle of the whipworm is such that we should be able to start testing my stool to see if they are in there in about another month.  But even if they are alive and getting settled, I won't know for several more months if this treatment is working.  I'm generally targeting Christmas-time as my milestone for hopefully getting a little relief from the UC symptoms. 
Symptoms and Drugs
On average, I am feeling about the same as I have for a while now--about 5-7 bm's/day.  Several of these quite urgent, meaning I've been racing to the bathroom a lot (and not always making it in time.)  A little bit of bleeding, but not much in the way of mucus or cramping.  Generally, this is a pretty good status, which may actually make it easier for my worms to get settled.  I've heard that people who are in the middle of a dramatic flare have less success with this treatment because their immune system is so freaked out that the worms don't really stand a chance.  So, since mine seems to be fairly relaxed right now, I may be better off.  (But who really knows?)

The main thing that is getting to me right now is my prednisone dose.  I started taking 12.5 mg/day right before dosing as insurance in dampening the immune response.  That seemed to go okay, and then I stepped down to 10 mg/day about a week ago.  That's about when the side effects really kicked in.  I'm not sleeping well, I am an emotional train wreck, and my appetite is bottomless.  Mentally, I am unfocused and can't seem to complete the easiest of tasks, and then when I do something dumb like double book my calendar, I get really upset about it.  The good news is that I've been down this road before so I know it will get better as I continue to reduce the prednisone.  Also, I'm fairly able to be objective and just say to myself, "Wow.  You're really overreacting to that guy cutting you off in traffic.  It's just the prednisone, so chill out and go about your business."  But still.  It sucks to be so crazy and to know it, and to not be able to stop it.

The original plan was to up the dose on the prednisone prior to each dose of helminths, and then ratchet it back down again in between doses, but I can tell you right now, that ain't happenin'.  Especially since my symptoms are fairly stable, I am going to continue to taper off the evil steroids and hope for the best as I take my worms.  There is just no way I can put myself (and everyone around me) through all this craziness for the next several months.

Swimming through the Helminthosphere 
I spend a fair amount of time trolling around what I refer to as the "helminthosphere," meaning the forums and websites set up and maintained by people who are either using or considering this therapy.  And I have to say that while that provides a lot of good info and support, it also can make me feel even more isolated.  For example, lots of folks talk about their "helminth bounce," a golden period right after dosing where they feel invincible.  It gets me all wound up, thinking, "I don't feel that way.  Should I be feeling that way?  What's wrong with me?"  Then there's other people who report on the "worm flu," which is a sluggishness and general malaise, which also takes place right around dosing.  Again, I don't feel that way.  Of course, I'm glad I don't feel that way, but am I supposed to feel that way?  Is something wrong?

My other issue with the helminthosphere is that, as you can imagine, people who are taking charge of their own health in this way can become quite evangelistic in their beliefs.  (Myself included.)  We're a bunch of know-it-alls about the in's and out's of not only our own illnesses, but the many and various treatments we have already tried, plus every aspect of helminthic therapy, from the providers available, to the science behind it, to the logistics of getting the worms...It can be a little overwhelming, and sometimes we forget that every one of us is on a different journey with different experiences, different motivations, different resources, different goals, etc.  In many ways these journeys are parallel, but they are different nonetheless.  And personal.  Intensely personal.  So although I know that people mean well when they suggest I get a microscope and do my own stool testing, or when they wonder why in the world I would choose to continue to take a drug like Remicade when it can have such nasty side effects, in some ways, their suggestions make me feel all the more alone with my decisions. 

The Bigger Picture
I try really hard to take what I experience with my disease and try to turn it into a bigger lesson about how to navigate this life.  So here's the upshot from what I've been experiencing lately:
  • Stay objective about things that are happening TO you, but do your best to rise above.  I'm not gonna sweat the prednisone side effects, but I'm not going to let them be an excuse to act like a raving lunatic either.  I can't do anything about not being able to focus for more than two minutes at a time, but nor is it ok to take out every little frustration on everyone around me.
  • I'm going to keep trying to respect other people, their experiences, and their choices.  I want to provide support to other people who are trying this therapy, or anyone who needs help in other parts of their lives, but I'm not going to try to impose my choices, my preferences, or my opinions on them.  (This one is tough!)
  • Likewise, I'm not going to let other people's experiences define expectations for myself.  So what if Sally had the worm flu for 10 days after she ingested her worms but I didn't.  That's interesting info, but it doesn't say anything about how my journey is going to go.  I'm glad Billy found the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) so helpful, but I just don't think that's going to work for me, and that's ok.
Hopefully I will have news to report soon about little worms getting settled in my tummy!  In the meantime, I'll keep fighting the good fight, trying not to be too freakin' crazy, staying supportive but not judgmental, and following my own path, not measuring myself against anyone else.  That should be plenty to keep me busy, don't you think??

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,
    Just happened to come across your site. Dx with UC sometime in 2006. Curious if you have written about using allergy medications to treat flares.

    Last week I started to flare while dog sitting for a friend. I took a 24 hour claritin about 4 days ago and my flare has tapered down since.

    I'm sure your asking yourself what this has to do with your post! I figure your current attempt is as far out there as i've seen on the web, so something on allergy meds wouldn't be taboo!

    Please let me know, I bookmarked your blog. Looking forward to sharing your journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anon! You're right, it would be hard to find a topic too taboo for me. But I've never heard of using allergy meds to treat UC flares before. Did you find that useful? What symptoms does it alleviate? I do take Zyrtec with my Remicade infusions as insurance against allergic reactions, but I don't think it's therapeutic in its own right.

    I really encourage you to try some of the other blogs I've linked to on my home page. Lots of great people are sharing their stories with tremendous wit and wisdom.

    Thanks for bookmarking me! Hope to hear from you again....

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Less BMs
    Less blood/mucous
    Urgency reduced

    Normally I start 1x day rowasa enemas for about 2-3 weeks straight at first sign of a flare. I'm going to experiment a bit however and wait on starting my rowasa. I don't like to tempt the disease, but really want to see if there's more to it. Ill keep you posted.

    I'm on folic acid and Colazal 3x750mg 3x per day whether or not in remission. I just started bromelain 500mg/day and smoke marijuana to increase my appetite.

    Ill check out the links and write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nancy,

    Since you are taking the 5 doses instead of one, does that mean you expect to see results later than those who do one dose? For example, the standard remission time frame for those with one dose is 14 weeks... were you advised that yours would take more time? I'm trying to figure that out myself, since it's almost been 14 weeks since I took my first dose and I've seen no improvement yet. Any input you have I would appreciate :) Thanks!

    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna,

    I'm so disappointed you aren't feeling better. I'm sorry! Maybe what's required is a shift in mindset: I don't know if you can say that there IS a "standard" remission milestone. Like you, I've heard 14 weeks, but also, every time I have talked to someone about it, that number changes depending on the context. When Jasper and I chose this protocol rather than the all-at-once method I did last time, we didn't even discuss how long until I could be seeing some results. I have just mentally put the end of the year as my milestone.

    For peace of mind, you may want to get a stool test to see if your worms are thriving. I wish I had done that sooner; when I discovered nearly 5 months into my treatment that they hadn't survived, it was quite a blow. This time, I intend to test around day 120/92/64 etc. Supposedly, they should start laying eggs around day 75, but Jasper told me that it took until day 115 for him, so I'm giving myself plenty of "wiggle room." (worm humor: yuk, yuk!) Again, I don't expect them to be making me feel better by then; I just want proof they are alive.

    If you haven't already talked to Jasper about all of this, definitely touch base with him and Marc about your status. You may also want to reach out to others with UC. (Mike of Colon Comrades comes to mind; he's so knowledgeable and is one of the few helminthers I know of with UC.)

    If you want to talk in more detail, let's hook up offline and compare notes. Let me know and I'll get you my contact info.

    Most of all, don't get discouraged! You're still at the beginning of this journey...

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank SO much Nancy! Your insight really helped. I'll wait until around day 120 like you had said to see if I notice a difference, and if not, I might try a stool test. I'll have to contact Jasper too... if I have any more questions I might ask for you contact info but for right now my mind is a little more at ease :) Hope you feel well SOON!

    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      I like this post:

      You create good material for community.

      Please keep posting.

      Let me introduce other material that may be good for net community.

      Source: Walgreen interview questions

      Best rgs
      Peter

      Delete
  7. I was born epileptic and at the same time I was having gastro disorder, but I am now free and cured by Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worst headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sister's house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handled their epilepsy! So My sister's friend Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who resides in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give it a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who is suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Gastro disorder,Diabetes,Back Pain,Cancer,HPV,Lupus,Liver & Kidney Disease,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine....

    ReplyDelete